November 16, 2010

Rope

This is an ode.

You are sturdy and strong.
You are long.
You can tie up animals.
One day when I walked into the gigantic gymnasium
With the sky light and the old bleachers
And the broken score board
You were there,
Just "hanging out" you said.
We shared a laugh.
And then I grasped you,
First with the right hand,
Then the left, not hand,
But prosthetic hook
Owing to that wily dolphin with the sharp teeth.

But what's a man to say?
When the sea is his home
He haven't another, nay, not for vasty fathoms.
How many leagues up to yon ceiling, ye rope?
And when I summit ye
Can I slide down withe a flying kick o' me boot?

2 comments:

  1. Oh for the love of God. This makes my ribs hurt. And Lindsey's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you have a label called "gradually turning into a pirate." I think this is something your wife should know about...

    ReplyDelete